While it is not possible to completely reverse aging, you can slow it down by living a healthy lifestyle as you get older, and by using treatments that help slow the physical signs of aging. At a young age, your body can repair damaged cells. As you get older, the skin’s repair system is not as efficient as before. Cells are the building blocks of our bodies and our tissues. A good example is your skin cells; the fewer cells you have, the thinner your skin will get, and the less elastin you will have, which causes wrinkles to appear.
6 Steps to Help Slow Aging
- Protect your skin from the sun every day. You can protect your skin by seeking shade and wearing sunglasses with UV protection. A basic aspect of sun protection is using sunscreen that has a broad-spectrum base of at least 30 SPF.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables rich in anti-oxidants helps to prevent damage that leads to premature skin aging. In contrast, a diet containing lots of sugar or other refined carbohydrates can accelerate aging.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking greatly speeds up how quickly skin ages, causing wrinkles and a dull complexion.
- Avoid drinking alcohol; its dehydrating effect causes damage to the skin, making us look older.
- Apply self-tanner rather than getting a tan. This will delay wrinkles and avoid the tanning bed’s harmful UV rays.
- Hydrate your skin by applying a facial moisturizer every day. Moisturizing traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance.
Revision Skin Care
Atlanta Plastic Surgery Specialists is pleased to offer Revision® skincare products that will improve the look and feel of your skin. Advanced Revision® skincare helps restore the elasticity and smoothness of the skin, reducing the appearance of visible UV spots. The Revision system works by purifying, refining, resurfacing, restoring and protecting the skin.
Call Dr. Mark Jones today to inquire about our anti-aging facial treatments and skincare product line.
Posted on behalf of Dr. Mark Mitchell Jones, Atlanta Plastic Surgery Specialists, P.C.